The back zip wetsuit is the most common wetsuit that exists. I think as well the oldest way wetsuits have been designed.
A back zip wetsuit is a rubber bodysuit that keeps you warm when you’re in the water for an extended amount of time. It is called a back zip wetsuit because of the vertical zipper at the back.
Are back zip wetsuits better?
Back zip wetsuits are the traditional wetsuits on the market and great quality wetsuits. They are still being updated by new technology and material. Some people still think the back zip wetsuit is better, there are some reasons why:
- They are most of the time less expensive than front zip or zipless wetsuits.
- They are easier to put on because the zipper at the back is bigger. The wide opening at the back makes it easier to pull your legs through the end.
- They are adjustable in the neck with the velcro at the end of the zipper. So you can choose how tight you want it in your neck.
What are the disadvantages of a back zip wetsuit?
There are a lot of reasons why people do not like the back zip wetsuit anymore and will never buy them again. Some of these reasons here below:
- One of the most given reason is the less flexibility at the back of the wetsuit. The long vertical zipper at the back is not giving any stretch. So it is harder or more irritating to paddle on a surfboard.
- The wetsuit is colder/ has more water flushing (water in and out) the wetsuit. The water comes easily in and the heat goes out because of the zipper at the back that is pretty long and not really good insulated.
- They say the wetsuit is not as firm or lasting because the velcro to adjust the collar is sticking to the inside of the wetsuit and slightly damages the wetsuit.
How to put on a back zip wetsuit?
Putting on a wetsuit is always a bit of a hassle but in general, the back zip wetsuit is the easiest.
- Step 1: Open the back zip all the way down.
- Step 2: Make sure the zipper is behind you when you put on your suit
- Step 3: Pull the suit on to your waist: make sure that the neoprene fits well, the knee patch should be at the knees.
- Step 4: Pull the suit up over your body as high as possible.
- Step 5: First put on the left sleeve: make sure that the neoprene fits well over the entire arm length.
- Step 6: Then put on the right sleeve: again make sure that the neoprene fits well over the entire arm length.
- Step 7: Grab the liner on your back.
- Step 8: Pull the liner over your head thanks to the provided hole.
- Step 9: Grab the string at the height of your hips at the back and pull the zipper up.
- Step 10: Don’t forget to secure the closure with the velcro and you are good to go.
How to take off a back zip wetsuit?
- Step 1: First open the velcro at the back of your neck.
- Step 2: Then grab the cord with the zipper at the back and pull it down to open it.
- Step 3: Now grab the end of the left sleeve and pull your arm back to get your arm out of the sleeve. Do the same with the right arm.
- Step 4: Pull or roll the wetsuit down first till your hips then the knees and carefully all the way to your ankle.
- Step 5: Now try to pull your legs out one by one with your thumbs and try not to stand on your wetsuit.
The video below shows a short video about taking the wetsuit off.